Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scream - The Turning Point (October 2008)


After the initial pieces, I began experimenting with glue and coffee grounds on the canvas. I wanted something gritty, something to reflect what I was feeling, what was stirring beneath the surface. I mixed paint, the grounds and glue and began to paint. And when I finished, I was stunned.
Scream.
That was the first title that came to mind and it scared the hell out of me.
This was what I was struggling against, why I did not want to do this. I cannot hide when I create, everything pours out of me without the normal filters, and that frightens me. The pot of emotions that I had successfully kept on a low simmer was threatening to boil over and I had no way to clean it up.
So I went into therapy, the best place to deal with overflowing emotions you did not know you had, but suspect lurked in the dark recesses of your soul. And fortunately, I hit the jackpot with a therapist whose lobby was decorated with abstract expressionist art and whose office had several Alexandra Nechita lithographs. I knew she would be instrumental in my journey and understand that art had to play its role.

No comments:

Post a Comment