Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Holidays and Emotional Overload (December 26th - January 4th)


The Saturday after Christmas was the start day. My refrigerator was stocked with necessities and a pot of coffee provided the caffeinated jump start. I sat down with a prepared board that had glued nude color tissue and coffee grinds on it and began. I was interested in creating a wrinkly skin like texture that I could use to tell a story. I was thinking of animal hides and how Native Americans used them as the base to describe great hunting battles. I wanted that organic, accidental feeling. I did not know what I would paint, I let the textures show me what they wanted to be.
I call this Purge - Madonna and Child. It is about struggling with pain and memories. I wanted it to serve as an exorcism of sorts so I decided to label the emotions that the child was purging. The parental figure has warpaint on because this is a battle of control, of assertion.
This piece took about 10 hours total. It was bursting out of me the minute I started to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment