Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Haircut (February 1st - 4th)


This event was very painful for me. I was taken to a relative's house for a haircut. My beautiful shoulder length hair was cut into a "Dorothy Hamill" wedge. I was so traumatized, I sobbed at the end of it. My relative gave me a SuzyQ to make me feel better, as if sugar and carbs would make things better. I lost my identity that day. When I look back at pictures, all of my confidence and self esteem was tied to my hair as evident by my smile and my proud attitude. When my hair was cut, I was often mistaken for a boy. My subsequent pictures show a scowling face or a sad face of a child who does not know who she is anymore. In the lower left hand corner is a representation of a jungle gym. I felt most powerful when I could climb that, my long hair whipping in the wind, and feel like I was the queen of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment